The Cathedral of Palermo
The Cathedral of Palermo was rapidly built between 1184 and 1185 by Gualtiero II, a relative of king William II.
It served, at the same time, as a place of worship, a funeral temple for kings and archbishops, a fortress and as a venue for solemn ceremonies.
The interior spaces were adapted for Latin and Byzantine rituals expressing at the same time the Fātimid culture, which was consistently present in Sicily from the X to the XII century.
Through the centuries, the Cathedral was, along with the Royal Palace, the protagonist of the city’s landscape and seat of important ceremonies.
Its architecture reflected the changes in taste and artistic sensibility underwent during the different epochs.
In the late eighteenth century the Cathedral was subjected to extended demolitions and the interior space was radically changed.
Nevertheless, it remains an extraordinary testament of the artistic climate that gave birth to it.